16 April 2008

Rites of Spring, Part I


On the tail end of a business trip to Atlanta I was able to sneak in a weekend in NYC. With that stolen time, Ofir and I were able to take advantage of the Hanami season at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. When we arrived not all the cherry blossoms were in full bloom, but there were a few trees that had graciously given way. The actual Sakura Matsuri Festival will take place May 3-4, so we perhaps we’ll go back.


After winding through the gardens, which I have to confess I truly love, we sauntered next door to check out the Murakami exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Now everyone I’ve mentioned this to has given a tepid response. Then again, this will not be the first time my tastes differ from the norm.


For me Takashi Murakami is cool because he plays with almost all the same things I do: graphic design, brands, popular culture, history and of course luxury goods! I had to restrain myself at the Louis Vuitton store in the middle of the exhibit which sold all of Muarakami’s collaborations with LV, including his latest (above) which was of particular interest to me. But if I'm really going to be honest, this wallpaper is what I really wanted to buy for my future child(ren).

Also of note on this trip was a new Mexican restaurant Ofir and I discovered in Williamsburg called Bonita. I will recommend it to anyone who is willing to endure the trustafarian culture of Williamsburg for the sake of real Mexcian-style corn on the cob and fish tacos in CORN TORTILLAS the way God intended them.

Next up: Picts and a report of my upcoming long-weekend in Burgundy to continue my Mary Magdalene pilgrimage and master the enjoyment of life the French way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home