12 August 2006

Sherman and Kruger


Two of my favorite female artists are Cindy Sherman and Barbara Kruger. This Cindy Sherman self-portrait (left) is from the permanent collection at the Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art. There is very little else in Fort Worth Texas that elicits any pride on my part except the Kimball Art Musuem (below) where I spent many an afternoon as a teenager cutting class.

As for Barbara Kruger: well once in South Bend Indiana in 1990, I saw a classical image she created that memserized me by the deep way it dealt with identity and mirroring (two themes that continue to interest me). But alas I can not find the image to share here. Especially since Kruger has really come to fame over her more ad-like graphic/text works (above right). But perhaps we should skip ahead to her video work of more recent times - in this clip she sets up notions of consumption and selfhood for a PBS series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home